The John Pearce Performing Arts Scholarship Fund is under the auspices of the Naperville Education Foundation (NEF) – www.nef203.org. The scholarship has been established by the alumni of Naperville Central High School’s music program as a result of the 20 years (1965-1985) that John Pearce served as choral instructor, teacher, musical director and Music Department Chairman. These former students benefited greatly from his musical gifts, direction and discipline in the arts and have created this scholarship in his memory.
The scholarship will be $1,000 awarded to either a band, choir or orchestra student.
The restricted purpose of the scholarship fund is as follows:
To financially assist students who intend to pursue further study in the performing arts (instrumental, vocal or musical theater) after graduation. For example, performing in a college/university ensemble, taking private lessons at the school one is attending, or enrolling in a music course such as music appreciation, history, or theory. The scholarship includes, but is not limited to students who are in need of financial aid.
- Applicants must be a member of the current graduating class of Naperville Central High School.
- Applicants must be a member of the current graduating class of NCHS, and must have been enrolled in one Performing Arts class (choir, band, orchestra) for at least three of their high school years – including senior year.
- Applicants do not need to be a music or musical theater major to receive the award. However, if awarded this restricted scholarship, you must provide NEF with both a proof of enrollment and proof of the completion of one academic term in at least one college music course, one ensemble or private lessons. This may include a copy of both the recipient’s academic schedule and grade, or other documents.
An exception to the four-year requirement will be considered by the Scholarship Committee under the following circumstances:
- Applicant entered NCHS after the Freshman year.
- Applicant was enrolled in a performing arts class during both the Junior and Senior years.
Once all applications have been received, the scholarship committee will review the applications and select finalists. The selection of finalists will be based upon the student’s application information, written essays and two letters of recommendation (personal references) from people familiar with the applicants’ work.
After the finalists have been selected and notified, they will be required to perform a live audition as well as an interview with the scholarship committee.
- Print and Complete the application form (pdf).
- Turn in the completed application form to Mr. David Alstadt, Naperville Central High School Department of Music
- Print and distribute the Personal Reference form (pdf) to your two personal references.
- Be sure to give to these individuals a stamped & addressed envelope to:
Mr. David Alstadt
Naperville Central High School Department of Music
440 Aurora Ave
Naperville, Illinois 60540
Contact David Alstadt at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions you have regarding the application or audition.
January 8, 2019
Application, Essay and Personal References are due
January 28, 2019
JPPAS Auditions – NCHS Music Dept.
Scholarship recipient will be announced
*APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IF THEY ARE HAND WRITTEN. THE FORM CAN BE FILLED OUT ON YOUR COMPUTER. IF YOUR BROWSER DOES NOT ALLOW IT, DOWNLOAD THE FORM TO YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN COMPLETE. WHEN COMPLETE, PRINT OUT APPLICATION AND SUBMIT TO DJ ALSTADT. THANK YOU.